Data Centre Cooling Innovation of the Year
Huawei indirect evaporative cooling technology uses external natural cooling sources to perform indirect heat exchange through air-to-air heat exchangers and water spray evaporative cooling. The AI integrated energy efficiency optimization technology effectively extends the natural cooling service time and reduces the energy consumption of the cooling system in the data center.
Huawei indirect evaporative cooling solution adopt an integrated design. The unit integrates core components such as the fan system, heat exchanger core, spray system, and controller. Air ducts, water pipes, and power distribution can be installed on site, shortening the construction period by 50%. The unit has three operating modes:
dry mode: only the fan operates, and completely adopts natural cooling;
Wet mode: the fan and the spray pump operate, heat is exchanged by the air cooled by the spray; Mixed mode: the fan, spray water pump and compressor run simultaneously.
Take Linyi big data center as an example, it is located in Shandong province, ten sets of Huawei FusionCol8000-E220s, which feature indirect evaporative cooling technology are configured. The calculation is based on 24 hours x 365 days per year. (According to the emission of 0.4512 kg CO2 per kWh, the consumption of 2.6932 tons of standard coal per 10,000 kWh) , compared with the traditional chilled water solution:
1) When the load is 100%, the CLF is 0.147 VS 0.317, and the annual power saving is 2260080 kWh, which is equivalent to about 1019748 kg CO2 emission reduction, which is equivalent to 608.68 tons of standard coal consumption reduction.
2) When the load is 50%, the CLF is 0.075 VS 0.205, and the electricity is saved by 1708200 kWh a year, which is equivalent to about 770739.8 kg CO2 emission reduction, which is equivalent to 460.05 tons of standard coal consumption reduction;
3) When the load is 25%, the CLF is 0.078 VS 0.225, respectively, and the annual power saving is 1931580 kWh, which is equivalent to 871528.9 kg CO2 emission reduction, which is equivalent to 520.21 tons of standard coal consumption reduction.
Huawei indirect evaporative cooling solution use the following technologies to achieve high efficiency and energy saving:
1. Adopting polymer heat exchanger core, unique sheet design and material formula, the performance can reach the same level as the metal heat exchanger core. Meanwhile, the heat exchanger core does not resist corrosion, reducing the front-end water quality requirement from RO water to softened water, greatly reducing the water treatment cost and wastewater rate.
2. The high-efficiency EC stepless speed regulating fan adopts a split design. The drive is externally installed, and the silicon steel sheet and coil of the motor are arranged in a larger space. In addition, the high-efficiency wind model line is developed. The impeller is made of aviation aluminum, which improves the fan efficiency from 60% to 68% and significantly reduces the fan power consumption.
3. The high-efficiency spraying technology is adopted. The unit adopts upstream downwind spraying to ensure that the spray water is in close contact with the heat exchange core without dead angle in all directions. The spraying efficiency is over 85%, reducing the air temperature to the maximum, and improving the efficiency by over 15% compared with the conventional spraying scheme.
4. Full frequency conversion technology: The indoor fan, outdoor fan, sprinkler pump and compressor all adopt frequency conversion technology, which can automatically adjust to the optimal frequency according to actual requirements to maximize energy saving.
5. Huawei "iCooling" AI energy-saving technology can control the unit running to the optimal efficiency point based on IT loads and indoor and outdoor ambient temperature and humidity. In addition, the output of each unit in the group can be adjusted in real time based on the temperature distribution in the equipment room to solve local hot spots. Ensure that the temperature and humidity meet the SLA requirements of the equipment room.
6. Intelligent O&M technology: Deploys intelligent sensors, unique fault self-diagnosis algorithms, and unique intelligent inspection and refrigerant leakage detection functions to quickly locate faults within 1 minute, instructs maintenance personnel to quickly respond, removes irrelevant root causes, and generates health reports based on the running status.
Linyi Big Data Center is located in Yimeng Cloud Valley at the intersection of Volvo Road and Hefei Road in Linyi City, Shandong Province. It is a cloud computing big data center that radiates southern Shandong and northern Jiangsu economic circle. The total investment of the project is RMB 1.5 billion, covering an area of 95 mu, with a total floor area of 13,315 square meters. Six standardized modular equipment rooms are equipped to house 1000 server cabinets and more than 10,000 servers. 380 cabinets are deployed in phase I, meeting the international T3+ data center standard.
In the first phase of the project, 380 cabinets were deployed, including 4 kW/cabinet in the low-density area and 8 kW/cabinet in the high-density area. Ten sets of Huawei FusionCol8000-E220 indirect evaporative cooling products were used. All components were installed within three months, shortening the TTM by 50%. The annual average PUE is reduced to 1.25, and the annual electricity fee of the data center is reduced by 11.3%.