Schneider Electric’s Easy UPS range provides uptime, resilience and peace of mind for small to medium businesses, data centres and mission-critical applications.
Data Centre Power Innovation of the Year
Today, data centres operate around the clock to provide mission-critical digital services, many of which are essential to today’s way of life. From finance and banking to healthcare, education and medical research, data centres are built into the very fabric of our digital lives and have been pivotal during the last twelve months. As such, they must be built for efficiency, reliability and resilience, especially to protect end-user applications against power outages and disruptions. UPS systems, therefore provide critical battery backup necessary to maintain operational continuity, especially in the face of a power failure.
Products, solutions and USPs
Essential requirements for UPS systems include reliability, ease of installation and operation, trouble-free maintenance, management and serviceability, transparent monitoring features and of course efficiency of operation. Total cost of ownership, the combination of acquisition cost, system longevity and ease of operation, is another critical factor. Schneider Electric’s range of Easy UPS uninterruptible power supplies (UPS), comprises a broad range of single and three-phase models, with power ratings ranging from 750VA up to 600kVA. They provide critical power power protection for a broad range of small to medium businesses, data centres and mission critical IT environments. Easy UPS systems are designed to be compact, robust, easy to install and service, making them suitable for space constrained applications, such as are frequently found in edge data centre deployments.
Among the recent introductions to the Easy UPS range, which are evidenced in the supporting documents, are:
• Easy UPS 3S: a three-phase online double-conversion UPS capable of 96% efficiency in double-conversion mode and 99% efficiency when operating in ECO mode.
• The 3S range is particularly suitable for ruggedised applications in Edge environments such as industrial processing or urban traffic management, as it comes with conformal-coated printed circuit boards and replaceable dust filters to guard against malfunctions caused by contaminated air.
• Easy UPS 3L: a three-phase family that has models in the power range 250kVA up to 600kVA with external batteries.
Tangible impact on the market/customers, breaking conventional ideas and differentiators
All Easy UPS offer high-levels of efficiency, up to 96% in double-conversion mode and as much as 99% efficiency in ECO mode, meeting demands for both sustainability and resilience. They can accept a wide input voltage range, thereby offering continuous, or normal operation, if the mains power fluctuates unexpectedly. They also operate over a wide temperature range, making them suitable for use in harsh, industrial or uncontrolled ambient environments. Another advantage is that they offer ultra-fast battery recharging, where a UPS can be charged to 90% capacity in only four hours.
Another important advantage and key differentiator of the Easy UPS range is the ease with which they can be managed remotely, which is crucial from an uptime and visibility perspective. Easy UPS are built with IoT sensors, enabling users to monitor key performance functions such as voltage and temperature, and are designed to work with remote monitoring software such as Schneider Electric’s EcoStruxure Asset Advisor. With optional SNMP cards that enable status information to be transmitted over a network, Easy UPS deployed across distributed sites can also be monitored and managed from a centralised software platform, offering the user real time data into the health and status of their UPS. This alerts management to any problems or malfunctions that occur as they happen, helping to protect against downtime and quickly rectify any issues. Further, it also allows organisations to adopt proactive maintenance schedules and reduce operating costs.
According to the Uptime Institute global annual data centre survey, 75% of respondents cited that downtime could have been preventable with better management, processes or configuration. All of these factors are essential in keeping downtime to a minimum. As well as the management features made possible by the combination of IoT technologies, network cards and the EcoStruxure monitoring software, the Easy UPS is simple and easy to install thanks to its compact size and streamlined design. For greater power protection, its versatile architecture allows several UPS systems to be connected in parallel for increased capacity or improved redundancy. Five models, for example, can be connected together in parallel to provide additional power capacity, or six connected in parallel in a 5 + 1 configuration to provide greater redundancy, so that if a power block becomes inoperable, the load will continue to be supported by the remaining power blocks.
Value demonstrated to customers and partners, beyond marginal improvements
The Schneider Electric Easy UPS range provides a cost-effective, simple to install, operate and maintain backup power protection system to drive business continuity for small to medium businesses, data centres and mission critical applications in industrial environments. Benefits include:
• High-levels of efficiency – up to 96% efficiency in double-conversion mode and 99% efficiency when operating in ECO mode.
• Increased reliability - The 3S range is suitable for harsh or remote applications such as industrial processing or urban traffic management environments. The ruggedised system includes conformal coated printed circuit boards, replaceable dust filters to guard against malfunctions caused by contaminated air, operating temperatures of up to 40°C, and strong overload protection.
• Easy remote monitoring and management - with 24/7, real-time insights delivered anywhere, on any device via EcoStruxure IT’s cloud-based software suite.