Data Centre Physical Connectivity Innovation of the Year
What is novel about the product / process or innovation?
The Infinium Quantum™ end to end fiber system provides the industry’s lowest total channel connection loss optical cabling solution designed for high speed and high bandwidth demand environments. Available in both single-mode and multimode, the patent pending Infinium Quantum systems offer the lowest channel link loss at 0.75dB, which is a recorded 67% improvement over standard systems and a 55% improvement over any ultra-low-loss optical fiber system available on the market.
Key Features & Benefits:
Infinium Quantum, was exclusively designed to allow the fastest and most reliable migration path to 400G and beyond by reducing or eliminating the need to replace cabling components.
1. Lowest total channel connection loss – 67% improvement over standard systems
• Single-mode total channel connection loss: 0.75dB
• Single-mode total channel connection return loss: 49dB
• Multimode total channel connection loss 0.75dB
• Multimode total channel connection return loss: 34dB
• Lowest latency
• Lowest bit rate retransmission equalling fewer errors – Increasing Uptime
2. Future Proofing – Open path to 400G and beyond
• Reducing or eliminating the need to replace link to meet demands of 400G and beyond
• Reduce need for fusion splicing to obtain low link loss
• Ability to add cross connections, signal drops, splitting, or switching components into the link for a particular transmission distance
3. Sustainability – Corporate social responsibility
• Reduce overall energy consumption – over 30% reduction in power consumption for transceivers
- Small data center save 92 MWhrs
- Large data center save 925 MWhrs
- Hyperscale data center save 1850 MWhrs
o Additionally, enabling significantly more savings in cooling cost avoidance since less heat is generated by the transceivers
- Small data center save 370 MWhrs
- Large data center save 3703 MWhrs
- Hyperscale data center save 7406 MWhrs
o Reducing CO2 due to significant reduction in power consumption
- Small data center save 198 tons CO2 / year
- Large data center save 1985 tons CO2 / year
- Hyperscale data center save 3969 tons CO2 / year
• High performance infrastructure
• Environmental stewardship
• Contribute to LEED points
How does the product or process break with conventional ideas or processes in its field?
Infinium Quantum has redefined performance in the data center with a total channel connection loss that is an order of magnitude better than any other fiber system on the market today. Infinium Quantum is designed to enable transitioning to 400g and beyond, save CAPEX, OPEX, and help to hit sustainability targets.
Characterized by performance, Infinium Quantum was engineered to enable greater sustainability, future proofing, and lowest total channel connection loss, highly configurable and scalable, with innovative features that simplify the process of installing or working with the system.
How does it go beyond marginal improvements on something that already exists?
The Infinium Quantum ultra-low loss single-mode system is based on a combination of superior engineering and unique patent-pending manufacturing processes of each of the connectivity components, comprising of a system of patch cords, cassettes and MPO trunk cables.
2.1dB is the total channel loss of a standard single-mode pre-terminated cassette-based solution, which is representative of the most competitive single-mode solutions on the market today. However, the Infinium Quantum™ System provides a significantly improved 0.75dB end-to-end channel loss which is revolutionary in our industry, which is a recorded 67% improvement over standard systems and a 55% improvement over any ultra-low-loss optical fiber system available on the market.
How do customers benefit from the product / process or innovation?
Data centers face the ongoing challenge of meeting growing needs to process more data, save energy and reduce costs. Less delays in the processing of the data between powerful servers and larger, more complicated switches, are being demanded by the massive proliferation of mobile IoT devices requiring less hops between equipment in order to keep the signalling delays shorter for data transmission.
The Infinium Quantum offers a fiber optic solution that is designed to deliver the most advanced network performance, with a variety of density, enclosure and application options for maximum compatibility. The modular system is engineered with installation efficiency and performance in mind – allowing a data center designer to implement a reliable cabling infrastructure for current and future needs and providing flexibility to support new technologies and architectures by simply updating the transceivers.
For further information on the Infinium Quantum Fiber Solution, please visit: https://www.legrand.us/markets-solutions/data-center-solutions/infinium-quantum-fiber-solutions.aspx
Infinium Quantum Hype Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsEauFatazM
Infinium Quantum Test Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMRXbZAhnvo