Schneider Electric Smart-UPS with Lithium-ion Bring Critical Power to Europe’s IoT and Edge Computing Markets
Data Centre Power Innovation of the Year
Schneider Electric Smart-UPS Line Interactive with Lithium Ion battery technology provides critical backup power for Edge computing sites and micro data centres via longer operational life, low operating costs, smaller footprint and remote management.
Smart-UPS are a single-phase uninterruptible power supply. Its batteries have double the operational life of traditional VRLA systems—10 years—and weigh about 30 per cent less than equivalent valve regulated ;lead-acid batteries. They can be accommodated in space-sensitive edge computing locations including maufacturing, retail and healthcare environments and have lower maintenance costs thanks to the longer intervals between battery replacement.
As well as lower operating costs, the acquisition cost premium usually associated with Li-Ion batteries has reduced considerably leading to a much lower total cost of ownership (TCO). Fitted with IoT-style sensors for status monitoring and a pre-installed network management card option, the Smart-UPS can link easily to Schneider Electric’s EcoStruxure IT cloud-based management software, enabling remote management of Edge installations from a central location.
The Smart-UPS range includes 500, 750, 1000 and 1500VA models available in a variety of enclosures from 1U rack, tower or wall-mount models for the 500VA version, up to 2U and 3U enclosures for the larger rated systems.
One of the features of Li-Ion batteries is the greater number of charge-discharge cycles they can withstand compared with lead-acid UPS systems. This makes them particularly suitable for high-availability applications.
With Li-Ion embedded technology, Smart-UPS offer several maintenance and cost-saving benefits including:
• Longer life span: Li-Ion batteries can have a service life upwards of 10 years
• Smaller size and weight: Due to higher energy densities, Li-Ion batteries have a much smaller footprint and weigh about 30 percent less than sealed lead acid batteries.
• Lower maintenance and total cost of ownership: With double the battery life, the amount of maintenance and associated costs required over the life of the UPS is reduced by up to 53 percent.
• Safety: APC’s proven record of safety and best-in-class design and adherence to safety regulations (UL 1973, UL1642/IEC62133) provides added peace of mind.
• Better performance at higher temperatures: Li-Ion batteries can operate at higher average temperatures (e.g., 40°C/104°F) without degradation to UPS performance of runtime.
• Extended runtime: Smart UPS On Line can be configured with multiple Li-Ion battery packs to meet aggressive runtime demands based on IT and business needs.
• Remote management capabilities: Available with a preinstalled Network Management Card (NMC) option, this solution can enhance visibility of edge environments with monitoring and control capabilities.
• Lower CAPEX - the cost of Li-ion has already reduced, being 10 times more expensive than VRLA just a few years ago, to only 1.2 to 2 times more expensive as of 2018.
• Cost Savings - Taking these factors into account Li-ion technology delivers a lower total cost of ownership over the course of their expected life as compared to equivalent VRLA battery UPS solutions. APC by Schneider Electric estimates its Li-ion offerings provide a TCO savings of up to 35%
• Connected, IoT-enabled solution - The UPS can also connect to Schneider Electric’s cloud-enabled EcoStruxure™ IT platform, which allows customers to leverage data-driven insights about the health and status of their UPS devices to simplify maintenance and optimize performance.
APC Smart-UPS are also ideal for applications where space is at a premium and can be easily integrated into IT systems such as Hyper-Converged infrastructure (HCI), rack enclosures or wall mounted systems, such as Schneider Electric’s industry-first EcoStruxure™ Micro Data Center C-Series 6U Wall Mount.
Used in conjunction with the APC Local Edge Configurator tool, solutions can be customised with optimised power, cooling, enclosure and management options for installation in locations ranging from retail outlets and branch offices to industrial, education and healthcare environments.
EcoStruxure Ready APC Smart-UPS models provide a range of management options to suit every need. Each model is cloud-enabled out of the box for optional remote monitoring and includes PowerChuteTM Business Edition for graceful unattended shutdown. The optional UPS Network Management Card integrates APC Smart-UPS with Schneider Electric's EcoStruxure IT™ award-winning next generation Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM) software for simplified remote management. Customers can also benefit from increased reliability and reduced risk of downtime by allowing APC channel partners and Managed Service Providers (MSP’s) to monitor their IT systems or leveraging the EcoStruxure Asset Advisor remote monitoring service from Schneider Electric.