Schneider Electric Galaxy VL delivers world-leading, sustainable and resilient power protection
Data Centre Power Innovation Of The Year
Schneider Electric’s Galaxy VL 3-phase uninterruptible power supply (UPS) offers world-leading energy efficiency, resilience and sustainability - delivering up to 99-percent efficiency in its patented ECOnversion™ operating mode for a full return on investment within two years.
The system offers ultra-reliable, secure power protection in a highly efficient and compact unit which, with a footprint of 0.8m2, occupies half the industry average space for an equivalent rated UPS of its size. The compact design of the UPS, enhanced by the use of Lithium-Ion battery (li-ion) cabinets, offers space savings up to 70% compared with lead-acid battery alternatives, offering more efficient use of data centre space and delivering a lower total cost of ownership (TCO).
Galaxy VL also includes a pioneering ‘Live Swap’ feature, which delivers a touch-safe design throughout the process of adding or replacing the power modules while the UPS is online and fully operational. This industry-first system offers protection from human error, enhanced business continuity and no unscheduled downtime. Additionally, Live Swap’s touch-safe design offers increased protection for employees who no longer have to transfer the UPS to maintenance bypass or battery operation during the insertion or removal of the power modules.
From an energy efficiency perspective, Galaxy VL utilises Schneider Electric’s patented ECOnversion technology, which helps users gain the highest level of energy savings and offers an operating efficiency up to 99% without sacrificing load protection.
ECOnversion is Schneider Electric’s improved version of eco-modes for UPS, but it offers far greater levels of resilience compared to traditional ‘eco-modes’. This is because with ECOnversion technology, the converter is always running, meaning it can kick in immediately when there’s a power disruption - so there’s no delay that can impact the load.
In Schneider Electric’s ECOnversion mode the load is also never exposed directly to unconditioned utility power, as is the case with standard UPS ‘eco-modes’, meaning ECOnversion fully addresses the reliability and availability issues that have long hampered traditional eco-modes.
In terms of specific efficiency benefits Galaxy VL delivers:
• World-class efficiency up to 99%.
• Compared to legacy UPS designs, the savings are equivalent to the acquisition cost after 2- 3 years (model dependent).
• Proven savings and robustness - savings achieved each year via electricity bill.
• Class 1 output voltage regulation.
• (Source: Schneider Electric brochure page 5)
Further, it offers high efficiency for medium and large data centres, buildings, and facilities via ECONversion.
• ECOnversion meets Class 1 of IEC 62040-3: zero-break transfer during power outage.
• Compared to a legacy design, the savings are equivalent to the acquisition cost after 2- 3 years (model dependent).
Galaxy VL utilises light weight, long-lasting Lithium-ion batteries, helping end-users to increase the lifecycle, reduce total cost of ownership, increase availability and resiliency. Key benefits of li-ion include:
• 50-75% less footprint.
• 30-50% lower total cost of ownership (TCO).
• 2-3X longer expected life. (Source: Schneider Electric website)
• New patented hybrid technology delivers up to 97% efficiency in double conversion online mode even at low load levels.
Galaxy VL also enables users to:
• Maximise space to enable future growth: Galaxy VL is the most compact in its class, 50-percent more compact than the industry average at.8 m2, freeing up valuable data centre real estate and IT space. Additionally, Galaxy Lithium-ion Battery Cabinets deliver total space savings of up to 70 percent compared with VRLA battery solutions. (Source: SE calculation based on available market product information. See Galaxy VL brochure for details.)
• Save money: Galaxy VL’s modular, scalable platform enables you to pay-as-you-grow, reducing CapEx investment, operating costs, energy consumption, and TCO. Scale power instantly in 50kW increments from 200 to 500kW with no extra footprint.
• Reach sustainability goals: Up to 99-percent efficient in ECOnversion mode for a full return on investment within two years in energy savings (26,280 EUR annual electricity savings). A Schneider Electric Green Premium product, it includes the option for long-lasting Lithium-ion batteries. (Source: Based on a market electricity price: €0.11/kWh. The annual electricity savings are done in comparison with a 94% efficiency standard UPS.
• Enhanced safety: Galaxy VL’s industry first ‘Live Swap’ feature, which delivers a touch-safe design throughout the process of adding or replacing the power modules while the UPS is online and fully operational. It offers protection from human error, enhanced business continuity and no unscheduled downtime.
• Increase Reliability through EcoStruxure: By connecting Galaxy VL to EcoStruxure—Schneider Electric's open, interoperable, IoT-enabled system architecture and platform—data centre operators can benefit from EcoStruxure™ IT software and services. These EcoStruxure offerings enable customers to monitor, manage, and model their IT infrastructure and get service support 24/7 anywhere, anytime.
Galaxy VL is one of Schneider Electric’s Green Premium products, offering sustainable performance by design. It includes transparent environmental information and makes minimal use of hazardous substances in and beyond compliance with regulations such as RoHS and REACH.
Like all Schneider Electric Green Premium products, Galaxy VL comes with a full environmental disclosures such as a Product Environmental Profiles and Circularity Profiles, to provide guidance on responsible end-of-life treatment and other recommendations to promote a circular economy.