Data Centre Energy Efficiency Project of the Year
Founded in 2007, TeleData is an ISO27001 accredited data centre based in Manchester. It is the only data centre in the UK to offer an on-site NSI Gold Approved BS5979 security centre. TeleData offers colocation, cloud hosting, workplace recovery and data centre services to businesses across the UK.
In October 2019 TeleData invested £1.5 Million in a new battery storage system to enhance energy efficiencies at our facility - a project supported by the Business Growth Hub. The solution enables us to store electricity from the national grid at times of low demand and discharge it during the most beneficial periods, acting as a reserve during peak tariff times. The system also offers integrated variable voltage optimisation to deliver a stabilised voltage, thus boosting the resilience of the facility by improving the shelf life of equipment, while reducing unnecessary energy waste and optimising the incoming power supply.
We are the only colocation provider in the UK to have implemented these technologies.
The system allows us to save a huge amount of energy and carbon emissions, whilst also avoiding consuming energy at peak times (drawing power from the 2MW battery bank rather than the mains) and triad periods (the three half-hour settlement periods of the highest demand on the GB electricity transmission system between November and February).
This technology carries a number of advantages;
- The low loss transformer, with voltage optimisation is proven to save between 8-10% of annually consumed kwhs and therefore carbon emissions.
- Customers are insulated against increases in power pricing at the most expensive times of day/year as we can intelligently switch our power source to battery storage during these periods. This saves a huge amount of cost on the annual electricity bill of an intensive user.
- Voltage optimisation allows us to regulate voltage at 225v at the transformer level, reducing energy wastage and extending the lifespan of equipment by up to 40%. Eliminating spikes in power delivery also reduces the likelihood of under or over voltage ‘tripping’, meaning more reliability and less outages.
- As a power generator, TeleData can participate in Firm Frequency Response (FFR) and as a service provider to the National Grid, can use our approved storage assets to quickly reduce demand or increase generation to help balance the grid and avoid power outages. The current UK power network is becoming increasingly challenging to balance and so this is a huge benefit to the grid.
In line with Manchester’s pledge to reduce CO2 levels by 41% by 2020, it is our mission to provide a sustainable and resilient service to our customers, mitigating against future cost increases to future proof in a turbulent marketplace.
The implementation of this system is an industry first. Data centres have the ideal ‘flat’ and consistent energy load to participate in these types of schemes with the grid, and to take advantage of the cost and energy saving potential that is associated with the system. Data centres traditionally don't like to be the first to implement a particular technology, but if this was implemented on a large scale then all parties would benefit - data centres, customers and of course, the environment.
Customers can state that they host with one of the most energy efficiency conscious providers in the UK and be more comfortable with cost certainty as we take control of the times of day that energy is consumed from the grid.
Our approach to energy efficiency is unrivalled, with power metered at every board and office in the building. We have been working closely with the Business Growth Hub and its consultants to intelligently reduce carbon emissions in all areas, including;
- Cooling consumption; where we have implemented highly intelligent control systems
- Cold aisle containment
- Under-floor cold air channeling to minimise wastage
- Variable fans within condenser units
- Free air cooling systems
- Office space air conditioning controls to minimise wastage out of hours
- Highly efficient cooling pumps
- Cold aisle blanking throughout the facility
and a number of other measures including the controlled raising of temperatures in the cold and warm aisles.
We have, and will continue to, invest in the most efficient solutions at all times, regardless of increased upfront costs.
“When we first started working with Teledata, they were clear in their focus and drive to reduce their environmental impact and make a positive contribution to their bottom line. With electricity usage equivalent to a third of their sales, this was their primary target. Using accurate sub metering data, baseline analysis and support from the Business Growth Hub, they had the knowledge and confidence needed to implement a comprehensive carbon and cost reduction programme. Through the adoption of cutting edge technologies, such as an energy efficient low loss transformer, load shifting through battery technology, and voltage management, Teledata has proven again its ability and willingness to stay ahead of the curve, combining innovative cost effective technologies to reduce its carbon footprint and costs.”
Todd Holden, Director for Low Carbon, The Business Growth Hub